We recently completed our first world trip of 5 months, and we found out that could be useful to other to share our good tips and tricks. In this suite of articles, you’ll find a bunch of advices, tips, tools and ideas that we hope will help you to have a ball while travelling!
Where to start to plan a world trip and how?
What to bring, what to pack?
What to set-up before, how to keep track of the money?
4. Diabete and travel
How to get ready for a long trip if you're diabetic?
Here’s our overall five months itinerary on a fancy map. You can find more details on each of the destinations from the Home page.
General Tips 👏
- Everything takes a long time, start 6 months in advance
- Leave your passports and other valuables at the hotel when you can
- While planning, remember to take a look at the seasons and weather
- Moving all the time can be very tiring, allow days to relax in your itinerary
- Use common sense and be a bit more careful in big cities of poor countries
- It’s better to do pessimistic budget previsions to avoid running out of money
- Always double check the political situation few days before arriving in a country
Overall Experience 🤓
We really enjoyed our 5 months of travelling. We finally went to places we waited so long to get to. While that was sometimes tiring and exhausting to constantly move around, we are still glad we did it, and would recommend you to do the same.
On the bright side, we really had a ball. We ticked-off a lot of countries we wanted to go, saw tons of wildlife advertised on BBC, discovered a lot of different cultures and food, met interesting people and actually managed to not kill each others, even in tense moments, like trying to get a normal dinner in China.
On the dark side, we found that pretty tiring and demanding. If we would do it again, we would add more relaxing time, also because seeing wonderful things after wonderful things make them less wonderful. We as well sadly didn’t disconnect as much as we were hoping for, neither found our true-self like sweaty high back-packers make you believe you will.
While it’s obviously super personal and subjective, we found that was a great experience and will probably do it again in the future if we can. The world of today is quite easy to move into, and doesn’t make you feel that lonely thanks to the internet. However, make sure to save enough money to enjoy as much as you deserve.
Read Next ⏭️
How to plan your world trip.